The Art Connect
Kojic Acid (Cosmetic Grade)
This off-white glossy powdered acid is a result of the microbiological fermentation caused by fungi or by malting rice.
INCI: Kojic Acid
Molecular Formula: C6H6O4/C37H64O6
Alternate Names: Kojic Acid (5-hydroxy-2-hydroxymethyl-4-pyrone), Hexadecanoic Acid
Benefits and Applications:
- This mild acid is a powerful anti-oxidant and exhibits anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-aging benefits.
- It is revered for its use as a skin-lightening ingredient all over the world.
- It significantly reduces dark spots and hyper-pigmentation and is a safer alternative to hydroquinone.
- It can be found in creams, lotions, serums, and even soaps.
- It acts as an anti-tumor and a radioprotective agent.
How it works:
- It begets the desired skin-lightening effect by blocking the formation of tyrosine.
- This blockage of tyrosine eventually prevents the production of melanin.
- Conventionally, the concentration for use in skincare products is 1%-4%.
- It is stable at PH around 4.
Kojic acid is readily soluble in water, ethanol, and acetone; sparingly soluble in ether, ethyl acetate, chloroform, and pyridine; and difficultly soluble in most other liquids.
- In Stock: 2-3 working days
- Pre-Order: 7-9 working days