The Art Connect
Peppermint Essential Oil
Botanical Name: Mentha arvensis
Plant Part: Herb
Description / Color / Consistency: A thin, colourless to pale-yellow liquid.
Aromatic Summary / Note / Strength of Aroma: With a high Menthol content, Peppermint exudes a sharp, penetrating scent. The minty sweetness of its vapor makes it one of the most popular Essential Oils / Top note / Strong aroma
Blends With: Basil, Bergamot, Cajeput, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Marjoram, Niaouli, Pine, Rosemary, Spearmint and Thyme.
Product Abstract: Peppermint's name has its roots in Greek mythology. Hades, god of the dead, pursued the beautiful nymphe, Minthe. Hades' wife, Persephone, became jealous and turned Minthe into a small and insignificant plant on which to be trampled. Pluto could not undo the transformation, but ensured that Minthe would always be loved for her fragrant aroma.
There are several species of the Mentha arvensis perennial herb, also known as Peppermint Japanese or Corn Mint. It can grow up to 3 feet in height and can be identified by its hairy leaves, which have serrated edges, and by its spiked purple flowers. The herb spreads by way of its underground runners. Known for its high Menthol content, sometimes this herb has Menthol Crystals growing right on its leaves. Peppermint is one of the oldest documented medicinal herbs, and it continues to be used as a flavouring agent in the food industry. Peppermint and Peppermint-scented oils are commonly used to add fragrances to soaps, candles, and toiletries.
Note: The high Menthol content of this oil means that it could potentially crystalize. If this happens, place the bottle in a hot water “bath,” and change the water frequently to ensure that the temperature remains hot. Repeat this step until the oil returns to its liquid state, then gently agitate the bottle before use.
- Cosmetic Grade: India
- Steam-Distilled: India
Usage: Essential oils are highly concentrated , the below usage rates are recommended:
- Gels, Toners, Astringents or high water based products-
- 0.5% for acne prone, sensitive and dry skin
- 1% for oily and combination skin
- Creams, Oil Serum, Balms
- 1% for dry, sensitive and acne prone skin
- 2% for oily and combination skin
- Hair Oil - 5%
- Liquid Shampoo, Soaps, Facewash and Bodywash - 2- 3%
- Cosmetic Grade: Cosmetic Grade oils are suitable for applications in skin and hair formulations including creams, lotions, shampoos etc. and are for external use only. The oils have been modified from their natural state in line with IP/BP/EP/USP (pharma) standards to suit the commercial requirements of the industry.
- Steam-Distilled: Natural Essential Oils are 100% pure, extracted through steam distillation and sold as is without any alteration to their composition. The oils are highly volatile and potent and retain almost all of their therapeutic benefits. They are ideal for natural and high end cosmetic formulations, can be applied directly (after appropriate dilution) or used for aromatherapy benefits.
- Organic: Natural Essential Oils that are Steam-Distilled and also sourced from manufacturers who have gotten the same certified as Organic (USDA/ECOCERT/INDOCERT).
Cautions: Dilute before use; for external use only. May cause skin irritation in some individuals; a skin test of the end product created is recommended prior to use. Contact with eyes should be avoided.
Storage: It is recommended that oils packaged in containers (for safe shipping) be transferred into dark glass containers to maintain freshness and attain maximum shelf life.
- 10ml/25ml: Amber Glass Bottle with Stopper Plug
- 100ml/250ml/500ml/1Litre: Transparent Plastic HPDE Bottles / Anodized Aluminum Bottles
- In Stock: 1-2 working days
- Pre-Order: 7-9 working days